Sunday, July 4, 2010

Waterford and Cork--An offroad experience!

The morning started in the mist of the Irish landscape with the weeping willows and orchids, geraniums and lovely hydrangeas...makes you think it's the beginning of a Harlequin Romance series...WRONg...it's me and the Me-Maw (thanks to Benjamin)
What a day. We got the car. You're too close to the wall; you're to close to the center line; you ride, I'll drive; watch out; move over! Cured that, rest of the ride was the trunk! Virtural reality of course. We made it to Waterford and wouldn't you know it, a parade....Me, I thought it was for July 4th, but then I thought Southern Ireland loved the Brits too! The parade was great. We happened to be in the Waterford shop looking for disposable plasticware but to our avail a parade outside beckoned us. The kids would have loved it. They evidently only do it once a year and the theme was 'Flights of Fancy'...and the best thing...not too long either in duration or marching but the floats were unbelieveable. If I only knew how to post the pictures I would. You'll have to wait until we get home.
From Waterford we went to Cork. A seemingly easy jaunt, wrong again. The hotel is the Hayfield Manor. What a palaver to get here! (don't grade here on spelling please)
We spent an hour trying to find it but my gosh, what a find. Somehow it is only a 10 minute walk to town but since we've yet to try it, we'll just have to wait for that to be actually confirmed. That walk is more like 25 minutes. Ez walk but the cab ride back was much easier. The bistro at the hotel was both casual and excellent.

The Hotel sits on 2 acres of mature gardens. Already I can tell we're going to have a problem.
All room (88) are unique to one another and ours is gorgeous. Someone really has us confused with someone else. They have 9 treatment rooms. How sad when I found it was a Beautique. I really thought I'd found a place that could finally help me! Has a beautiful indoor pool, an outdoor jacuzzi, steam room and fully equipped gymnasium. A bistro and a formal dining room and a grand entrance stairwell in the lobby that is just gosh dang gorgeous...As Lorraine said, a bit of heaven. As the manager said, a great hidden secret. The hotel was actually demolished and rebuilt and moved.
An extremely romantic setting and no kids...Wine on entry into the room along with truffles and fruit. Oops, I hear Guinevere calling....oh, never mind, I'm mistaken, it is Lorraine...my Guinevere....Cheeio!

3 comments:

  1. I would have much rather had a parade than the fireworks. Our cul-de-sac had a gathering and had some fireworks that literally lasted 5 minutes. Very annoying, but the dogs are fine and the fireworks have stopped and I haven't found anything chewed up...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossed into the TMI levels with that last paragraph....I think I just threw up a little in my mouth

    ReplyDelete