Thursday, July 8, 2010

Not any traveling I'm used to doing! So join me on a Larry voyage!

Ok, so I need to start at the end of the day. To tell you the truth, it's been so long since the morning that I have to think about where we were.
This place, Ballynahinch Castle, is amazing. The grounds are beautiful, the ambiance is fantastic and the food is delicious. Actually I have no more words for description. How should I exzplain dinner. The superlatives wouldn't do it justice. Let me use a Ryan-ism---it explodes in your mouth. The chef is Chinese married to an Irish lady with two children that were described as looking Fugi...I will consider they meant the children to be beautiful and as a compliment. Whatever shortfalls the hotel may have, the food makes you forget...the sad fact is that they wouldn't bring any more. Nothing else can be said. Since the place was built in the 1600's there are a few issues that should be looked into. Nothing major but there is no place to put the soap in the shower, so either take a liquid in with you or thorw the bar over the door and don't slip on it when you get out...The beds are extremely hard but then I like them firm. The rooms are a bit of old, new, traditional and contemporary...although it doesn't possibly work aesthetically, it is a great place to come, no matter the cost. It is a long way to get to it, but golf is close; fishing is outside the door, hiking is on the grounds and food is on the table. Whataburger, I'm afraid you've just lost your spot as #1in my heart.
The hotel has a great work ethic. The archeologist and resident eco environmentalist also spin trims the grounds. I love it because of the job description---we do it all and don't complain. It's the work ethic that is as much music to our ears as the food exploding in the mouth. It's refreshing to be thrown back to reason.

We went to a small fishing village called Roundstone and then on to Clifden and Cleggin where we caught the ferry to Inishbofin Island. The farther most western island that is part of Ireland. You could say the American Atlantic hits there last or first..however you choose.
Tomorrow is a big day for me...I'm going to watch border collies actually work the sheep at a sheep farm about an hour away. Hopefully I will not try and bring one of these dogs home to teach ours! We are well, feeling good, well fed and loving the trip so far. A bit too much driving for such a short timeframe but we'll have plenty of time to relapse into a time warp when we get to Scotland. Regards to all and look we made it back again thankfully with no accident....there was no one on the road to these cities we went to is the only reason I believe....

2 comments:

  1. If that hotel didn't have Chic-Fil-A chocolate shakes, then it can't be number 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa there....I don't believe I have ever used the phrase "explodes in your mouth"

    ReplyDelete